During the Ottoman Empire Beylerbeyi was one of the sultan’s royal gardens. Beylerbeyi attracted various sultans, some buildings kiosk, some pleasure houses for summer use. The Palace was built by Sultan Abdulaziz in the years between 1861-1865. Beylerbeyi Palace became the summer palace of the Sultan’s family and it was also used to host foreign guests.
Empress Eugenie of France was the first guest of the palace
The first important guest, was Empress Eugenie of France. Other foreign guests who were entertained at Beylerbeyi Palace during the reign of Sultan Abdulaziz were Joseph, the Emperor of Austria-Hungary (1869), Frédéric Guillaume Nicola Charles, the Crown Prince of Prussia (1869), The Crown Prince of Italia (1869) and Nasıreddin, the Sah of Iran (18 August 1873). Sultan Abdulaziz lived six years and died here in 1918.
Like a traditional Turkish House
The style of the interior is mixture of eastern and western influence. The design of the palace is that of a traditional Turkish house, wieth a central hall and rooms opening off room it. With the basement used as a kitchen and storage area, the palace made of three floors, six reception rooms and 26 rooms. The palace’s garden is decorated with trees, statues, and pools. The furniture was originally brought from Egypt and is overlaid with wicker as protection heat and damp.
Sultan Abdulhamid II died here
Sultan Abdulhamid II was kept in custody in this palace until his death in 1918, after he was dethrowned. During the time of Turkish Republic, Atatürk’s guests were hosted in this palace. It has since been transformed into a museum, and it is one of the important historical architectural buildings located on the Anatolian side of Istanbul.
|Address||Abdullahaga Caddesi 81210 Beylerbeyi Üsküdar, Istanbul|
|Tel||0216 321 93 20-21|
|Fax||0216 321 93 22|
|Entrance fee||20 TL|
|Visiting hours||The palace can be visited between the hours 09:00-17:00. Palaces, kiosks & pavilions are closed on Mondays and Thursdays.|