The locality is named after Alfonso di Cegalo who was a Messinan captain. Cegalos, father and son, who was captured by Chief Admiral Piyale Pasha, was brought to İstanbul in the middle of 16th century. Alfonso, who was 12 only, was Islamized and took the name Yusuf Sinan. He used to be called ‘Ceğalzade’ shortly, which means ‘son of Cegalo’.
Cagaloglu Yusuf Sinan Pasha progressed fast in his work and became grand vizier of Murad III in 1594. His tomb is in the ‘hazire’ (burial area reserved for special people especially in mosques or Sufi lodges of Mosque). Construction of Ministry Building for the Prime Minister attracted attention in the Cağaloğlu after 18th century. It became the residential area of the Pasha during Ottoman Rule. In 1870, it started to become the center of Turkish press. Although the press houses are still located in the region, newspapers already moved to the plazas. Today, the locality is surrounded by press houses and book stores.
What to see:
The Parade Pavilion
The Parade Pavilion, was built by Mahmut II. Pavilion is rising above the palace walls, and stands directly across from the main gate of the grand vizier's palace. Due to lengthy parades, starting at dawn and ending at sunset, this pavillion was a nice place for the sultans. From there, sultans watched the ceremonies attendant upon the departure of the army to war.
This was the mansion of the Grand Vizier. Building was destroyed in 1844 and rebuilt again as the Grand Vizierate. After the Republic, it became the Governorship of Istanbul.
The Mosque of Zeynep Sultan
A mosque of the Baroque style. It was built in 1796 by Zeynep Sultan, the daughter of Ahmet III. Its dome reminiscent of Byzantine architecture. Zeynep Sultan is buried in the basement of her tomb as the building itself had collepsed. The body of Alemdar Mustafa Pasha, her husband, was brought here later.
Opened as a military junior high school in Gülhane in 19th century. Now it is the İstanbul Juvenile Courts.
İstanbul Erkek Lisesi
It was constructed as the center of the Directorate of the Public Debt Administration in 1897. Now, it serves as the Istanbul Boys' High School.
It was built by the Italian architect Domenico Stampa in 19th century. This consulate was the first and only consular building bulit in the historic area.