Fethiye Mosque was originally a church. It was built in the 13 th century. Fethiye was used as Patriarchate in 1454 after the conquest of Istanbul. Orthodox Patriarch was moved to Pammakaristos Church, where it remained for over a century. In 1591 the church was converted to a mosque. Murad III converted the Church into a mosque and renamed it Fethiye (Conquest) Mosque in honour of his recent victories in Georgia and Azerbaijan. Many of the interior walls were busted down to create more space for communal prayer and minarets were added.
In 1955, Fethiye Mosque became a museum
During the conversion a part of apse was removed and a niche (mihrap) bulit showing the direction Mecca. A minaret and medresse were also added. During the Republic, frescoes and mosaics inside were uncovered in 1955 and Fethiye Mosque became a museum. The arch built after the conquest ant it was replaced by columns as the original. In the 1960's the mosque was once again opened for worship which is still in use, while the parakkleison section of the building remained as a museum. The Greek inscriptions on the exterior walls and interior mosaics are particularly eye-catching.
|Address||Fethiye kapisi Sok. Çarsamba, Fatih|
|Tel||0(212) 635 12 73 u2013 522 09 89|
|Fax||0 (212) 512 54 74|
|Entrance fee||5 TL|
|Visiting hours||The museum is open between 09:30 - 16:30 except on Wednesdays.|