Added to 607 lists
Bulgarian Church
  • Church of St. Stephen of the Bulgars
    Church of St. Stephen of the Bulgars
  • The first church of St. Stephen of the Bulgars was wooden
    The first church of St. Stephen of the Bulgars was wooden
  • The buildings conveyor profiles were made of steel, overlaid with slabs of sheet iron and casting
    The buildings conveyor profiles were made of steel, overlaid with slabs of sheet iron and casting
  •  In terms of architecture, Church of St. Stephen combines Neo Gothic and Baroque influences
    In terms of architecture, Church of St. Stephen combines Neo Gothic and Baroque influences
  • The church belongs to the Bulgarian minority
    The church belongs to the Bulgarian minority

It is known as Church of St. Stephen of the Bulgars. The church belongs to the Bulgarian minority. They used to pray at the churches of Istanbul Orthodox Patriarchy. After the nationalistic movements, Bulgarians built their wooden church in Fener. After the original wooden structure damaged from a fire, the larger present building was constructed at its place.

International competition
The construction plans were prepared by Hovsep Aznavur. An international competition was opened to prepare pre-fabricated parts fort he church. The contest was won by an Italian firm. The prefabricated parts, weighing 500 tons, were produced in Vienna in 1893-1896 and transported to Istanbul by ship.

Pre-fabricated church
After one and a half years' work, the church was erected  in 1898. The buildings conveyor profiles were made of steel, overlaid with slabs of sheet iron and casting. All the pieces were attached together with nuts, bolts or rivets. In terms of architecture, Church of St. Stephen combines Neo Gothic and Baroque influences.

 

Useful Information of Bulgarian Church
Address Mürsel Pasa Cad. No: 85, Fener
Video

Comments

Visitors who viewed Bulgarian Church also viewed:
Cagaloglu Bath
The architect of this building which was built by Abdullah Aga. In the middle of men's section of the bath, covered with a large dome, is a pool which is a work of art.
>> More <<
Nuruosmaniye Mosque
The construction of the complex was built by Sultan Osman III in 1755. Located one of the seven hills of İstanbul. The architect of the complex was Simon Kalfa. Located one o
>> More <<
Ortakoy Mosque
Also known as ‘Great Mecidiye Mosque’. Ortakoy Mosque was built in 1853 by architect, Nikogos Balyan, during the reign of Sultan Abdülmecid.
>> More <<
St. Mary of the Mongols Ch...
After Mongolian Khan Abaka was assasinated by his brother, Maria returned to Constantinopole. She had the church rebuilt with a monastry aside and dedicated both of them to th
>> More <<