Added to 607 lists
The Fethiye Mosque
  • Fethiye Mosque
    Fethiye Mosque
  • Fethiye was used  as Patriarchate in 1454 after the conquest of Istanbul
    Fethiye was used as Patriarchate in 1454 after the conquest of Istanbul
  • The dome of the mosque
    The dome of the mosque
  • Fethiye Mosque was originally a church. It was built in the 13 th century
    Fethiye Mosque was originally a church. It was built in the 13 th century
  • Frescoes and mosaics inside were uncovered in 1955
    Frescoes and mosaics inside were uncovered in 1955

Fethiye Mosque was originally a church. It was built in the 13 th century. Fethiye was used  as Patriarchate in 1454 after the conquest of Istanbul. Orthodox Patriarch was moved to Pammakaristos Church, where it remained for over a century. In 1591 the church was converted to a mosque. Murad III converted the Church into a mosque and renamed it Fethiye (Conquest) Mosque in honour of his recent victories in Georgia and Azerbaijan. Many of the interior walls were busted down to create more space for communal prayer and minarets were added.

In 1955, Fethiye Mosque became a museum
During the conversion a part of apse was removed and a niche (mihrap) bulit showing the direction Mecca. A minaret and medresse were also added. During the Republic, frescoes and mosaics inside were uncovered in 1955 and Fethiye Mosque became a museum. The arch built after the conquest ant it was replaced by columns as the original. In the 1960's the mosque was once again opened for worship which is still in use, while the parakkleison section of the building remained as a museum. The Greek inscriptions on the exterior walls and interior mosaics are particularly eye-catching.

Useful Information of The Fethiye Mosque
Address Fethiye kapisi Sok. Çarsamba, Fatih
Tel 0(212) 635 12 73 – 522 09 89
Fax 0 (212) 512 54 74
Entrance fee 5 TL
Visiting hours The museum is open between 09:30 - 16:30 except on Wednesdays.
E-mail ayasofyamuzesi@mynet.com
Video

Comments

Visitors who viewed The Fethiye Mosque also viewed:
Hagia Sophia Museum
After the conquest of Istanbul by Sultan Menmet the Conquerer, he rode his horse directly to the Aya Sofia. In front of the door, he got off his horse, took a handful of earth
>> More <<
Istanbul Archaeological Mu...
Istanbul Archaeology Museums is made up three museums; the Tiled Kiosk, the Ancient Orient Museum and the Archaeological Museum.
>> More <<
Istanbul Naval Museum
Ottoman royal caiques are exhibited Istanbul Naval Museum in their original conditions. In the historical Naval Archives there are close to 20.000 books in the library and abo
>> More <<
The Rahmi Koc Museum
The Rahmi Koc Museum contains two principle buildings Lengerhane and Hasköy Dockyard. Most of objects have been gathered from private collection of Rahmi Koc. Other objects ar
>> More <<